Friday, July 27, 2012

"maybe you'll provide in other ways and if that's the case we'll give thanks to you" Nichole Nordeman

God is a God of so many things. One of the wonderful aspects of Him is Provider. We don't always understand how He will provide or why He provides the way he does, but He knows best and it's wonderful to get those little reminders.
The enrollment at the school where I taught at this past year went down significantly. Therefore, they had to downsize A LOT. Many teachers were left without a job. I really did love the school and it's sad to see it changing so much. The children that I taught were a real heaven-sent. So, back in May I began the search for a new job. I kept searching...and searching...and searching day after day. Teaching jobs are very hard to come by these days. While I have gotten several "your resume is fascinating" type e-mails, there are no openings. By the time July came around I still didn't have a job. I prayed to God that I would have a job before leaving to go to Uganda. Internet access has gotten infinitely better since I first came to Uganda, but it's still spotty. I didn't want to have to rely on doing interviews via Skype. Been there, done that. Stressful. Thanks to a connection through the pastor at the church I attended between college and living in Uganda, the DAY I LEFT to come to Uganda I was offered a job! God knows what he is doing, does he ever! It's not the type of job I was expecting. It's not one that the world would call a good job, but it was SO clear to me that it was where I needed to be. The story of Gideon strikes again! I'm looking forward to the learning experience through it all.
It's funny how much God really does know what he's doing. We doubt. Boy, do we ever. We have these little mind tricks that we allow to invade our way of thinking. But when we need to know, He provides a way. His timing is perfect. The week after I arrived in Uganda I was asked to interview at a local public school via Skype. The principal at the school is even a graduate of my alma mater. Honestly, if I had been offered both jobs at the same time, I probably would have taken the public school position. According to the world's standards it's a better job- more money, more stability, more chances to further my academic career, etc. But by the grace of God I am where he wants me to be.
This was impressed upon me even more when I started tutoring down at Heritage International School, where I taught 1st grade for 3 years. Greeting smile after shining white smile, many people thought I was "back". Someone even threatened to lock me in a classroom to make me stay when they heard I was only here for a few weeks. It's been tough telling people that I am not here to stay this time. The elementary school principal made a comment to me that it was a shame I wasn't going to be here for the  first full week of school. Apparently she didn't know that I was around for the first 3 days. Upon hearing that I was, she promptly asked me if I would be willing to teach 2nd grade. The teacher that is supposed to teach 2nd grade won't be here until the 2nd full week, so they need someone to set up the classroom and teach. I said that I was here to help, and in I am thrown. To the lions den. This will be the class that I would have taught last year if I had stayed. Setting up a classroom is a lot of work. Teaching is not an easy task, as any teacher can attest to. Every time someone here finds out that I am filling in that need they say, "OH, what a huge blessing!" For them? Absolutely. I am thrilled to be helping out where it is most needed. For me? I'm scared. Not scared of the labor. Not scared of the students or the teaching. I'm scared for my heart. As I've been tutoring here I've been reminded of how much I love these children; how much I love this school; how much beauty surrounds me here. I am afraid that in the process of getting things ready for school and actually teaching my heart will be squeezed even more and begin to think that I am staying.
Don't get me wrong. It was hard adjusting to American life again, but by the time I left the states I felt somehow at home there. I was learning to enjoy things again stateside. I knew that my heart would be stretched when I felt lead to come back here this summer. God knew what he was doing when he made sure I had a job in place before I got here. I know I have grad school starting, but they offer deferment. I do have something to return to. I've got a work that needs to be done. I've got a need to be met in America as well. And through it all, we can give thanks! Even if he provides in ways unexpected, I am filled with gratitude. 

No comments: