Sunday, July 22, 2012

"I don't wanna be a chicken..."

...but I will buy one!

I know I just posted 3 other blogs, but this is just too funny to pass up!

The village church that I just returned from (yes, it's 4pm now) is raising money for their floor. Not everyone has money, so they give what they can. This morning one family brought a chicken. It's not unusual for people to bring in crops as their tithe or offering, but what is a church going to do with a chicken? Have a market!
So...the bidding began. I wasn't quite sure what was going on. The money amounts that were being stated were very confusing. I asked the woman that I came with if I should join in. She told me to go ahead and the amount I should offer. I leaned over to my 13 year-old friend sitting next to me and said "dream come true." I raised my hand and offered the equivalent of $16. The church erupted in cheering and laughter. Then the original bidder added on to what she had originally offered. It soon became clear that people were working with each other, not against all the time. A stranger in the audience added on to my amount being offered. Now the pastors wife and I were tied in the amount being offered. Finally another missionary added $4 onto mine and the bidding was finished. I had won the chicken! The other people who lost did not get their money back. Whatever was offered was taken as a donation to the church. The whole thing was really very funny and took quite a while. I took video of the last 7 minutes of it. I crack up as I watch the pastor shake the chicken to prove that it makes a good sound at about 5:30 minutes into it. I've posted it on facebook, you can find the link below. Let me know if it doesn't work for you. I encourage you to watch and be entertained :)
Click HERE to see the Chicken in Church Video


I didn't know what to do with the chicken. I know I love them...but I had actually never picked one up before. One of the missionary kids grabbed ahold of it's wings for me and handed it over.  I didn't want to keep it, as I don't have a home for it or the means to care for it. So it was decided to give it to the jaja (grandmother) sitting behind me. She was quite surprised and very grateful. She kept saying "webale nyo" over and over again. The pastor told me later about how she is so faithful walking ever-so-slowly to church each week with her grandchildren.

And so, that is my story of how I once owned a chicken for 1 hour. He doesn't know it, but I named him Gweno, which is how you say chicken in the Acholi language of Northern Uganda. Below is a picture of me giving it to jaja with one of the pastors translating for us.


1 comment:

LindaC said...

This was hilarious. So glad you are having a great time.