Saturday, July 21, 2012

"A picture paints a thousand words but the photographs don't tell it all" -Nothing to Say, Andrew Peterson

Amongst all of the very interesting songs I have heard on the radio in Uganda, the above lyrics are from one American song that I heard this past week. I'd never heard it before, but really enjoy the song. If you're new to this blog, I try to title my posts with song lyrics that have moved me or are simply amusing and relate to the topic at hand.

Some of the other lyrics that I love from the song are:
I see the eagle swim the canyon sea
Creation yawns in front of me
Oh Lord, I never felt so small

And I don't believe that I believed
In You as deeply as today
I reckon what I'm saying is 
There's nothing more 
Nothing more to say

And the mountains sing Your glory hallelujah
The canyons echo sweet amazing grace
My spirit sails
The mighty gales are bellowing
Your name
And I've got nothing to say

I've done quite a bit of traveling in the past week. Below you will find some pictures of the fascinating roadside scenes.

 
This Fanta bottle still had orange soda inside when they began filling it with fuel.

Waiting for the animals to get out of the road.

We even wait for baboons to get out of the road.

Elephants!!!!!

The tipping of that bus is not an optical illusion. Hence why we ask for prayer when we take public transport. This guy flew past us. I didn't take that company to Gulu.

A preferred mode of transport. Those cows are tied up so tight next to each other. Not safe to be sitting on top of long-horned cattle on bumpy roads.

Selling simsim biscuits on the side of the road for 500/= (~ $.20)

 
The partially eaten product. Good stuff!

 Huge bags of coal for sale on the side of the road. People just put it out there and then when they see a car stopped they come running from their huts to sell.

 
Lisa buying fresh mangos!

One of the wackiest roadside statues.

 
This truly is a beautiful place. Victoria Nile at Karuma Falls.

 
How much do you pay per gallon? This is in liters. Basically it's just under $6 a gallon here right now.

 
This is one of the bus companies that service Arua. Gaagaa is the name of the bird pictured. Not the nicest sounding bird ever. 

Hope you've enjoyed looking at Roadside Uganda :) There are many other sights of course, but most are not easy to catch on film.






No comments: