Wednesday, July 4, 2012

"Love came down and rescued me" ~Brian Johnson

Today I had the chance to go to the Field Museum here in Chicago. They had a wonderful and vast exhibit of Africa and it got me very excited to return. It's now hitting me that this is really happening and I thank God for this opportunity. 
Set scene: crowded Chicago subway. 9pm last night. Across from me sits a young girl with spiked bleached hair, a depressed look on her face and brownies on her lap. Next to her sits an Asian teen with his propped up skateboard whose underbelly displays a distain for life. On the other side of a pole is an African-American man in his 30's wearing a t-shirt that reads "Respect education". Of course many others surround, including a shabbily dressed woman in her 40's and any manner of other humans.
I sat there wearily praying after a long day...and I was struck with the overwhelming sense of God's love for the people around me. He so badly wants to be apart of our lives. I looked around at all sorts of people and concentrated on the fact that Jesus loves them as much as anyone else. I am so thankful for that. It's a humbling and beautiful thought. I love moments like that. When God literally gives you the love that he has for others. 
Now I feel that I have a renewed sense of God's longing to draw people to Himself. Emotion isn't everything. We are called to serve God no matter what we feel. But I am so honored to have this bestowed upon me. 
I pray that you truly feel God's love for you. As much as we know about the Lord, we can NEVER know the extent of that extravagant love. It's a pleasure to be called to share that love with those around me. I continue to pray that He will show me the way.

1 comment:

Mary Sutton said...

I teach second grade, and some days my heart is so full of God's love for my students that all I can say is, "I can't believe I get to do this." Then on days when the battle is fierce and every ounce of mental and physical energy is being tapped, it's still God's work -- and I get to be part of it. If I didn't know this, I'd just stay in bed.