Sunday, March 29, 2009

High on a hill was a lonely goatherd, yodel-odeli-yodele-i-o -Sound of Music

As I was riding on the back of a boda boda (motorcycle taxi) this week, I happened to glance over to my right up off the road a few hundred yards. What I saw was not something that would surprise me in the least in a normal situation, but in this instance was hilarious to me. On that little hill stood a woman in grayish-black dress trousers, high-heeled shoes, a nice button up fitted white top, and a purse adorning her shoulder. In her hand? A rope. On the other end of this rope? A goat. That might have been all well and good too, but their stances were the kicker. It seemed to me that perhaps this woman was on her way home from her job when she happened across her goat who had escaped. So, she must have picked up the rope and started to lead it home. However, he did not want to go back. Basically what came to be was a tug-of-war between this goat and a businesswoman. She was pulling with all of her weight and leaning backwards, while the goat was practically sitting down. His front legs were reaching straight forward and his hind legs underneath him, behind still straight up in the air.
Needless to say, it gave me a good laugh. I’d expect any day to see a child pulling on a goat (it’s almost a daily scene) or to even see a woman yanking on that rope, but more so a woman in a big slightly ragged skirt and hair pulled up in a scarf…not a businesswoman.
I didn’t get to see the turn out of the situation as the boda was moving at a decent pace towards town. I did get into town to buy the next book in the series that I am reading, The No.1 Ladies Detective Agency. It’s about a woman in Botswana that starts up a detective agency after her father dies. Even though it does not take place in Uganda, there are still many similarities and things that make me laugh about all the great African cultures ☺ If you are looking for a new series, see if you can find them in America-I know it’s written by a Brit so I’m not sure. It’s a good, fun, suspenseful, and easy read.

1 comment:

Susan Elizabeth Miller said...

I can tell you that you can definitely find these books in America. I enjoy them too! :)