Friday, March 20, 2009

Before I stand up to my feet, before I begin to feel this weak, satisfy me Lord- Tenth Avenue North

One morning as I was making my way to school, I saw two boys standing together with their school uniforms on and bags attached to their backs. One boy looked down admiringly at the other. Chiefly looking at…his socks. Now both of the boys had white socks that were adorned with a blue stripe at the top. The taller of the two, the one admiring the other child’s socks, proceeded to bend down and attempt to hoist up his own socks. The shorter child’s socks where hiked way up, practically knee-highs. Perhaps the taller lad thought that the other boy’s socks were the correct height. His socks were, after all, only sticking out a few inches from his slightly polished black dress shoes. He seemed to try desperately to yank his own socks. What he failed to realize is that no matter how hard he tried, that was the highest his socks were going to go. His socks were not designed to go any higher- the most that was going to happen was that they might stretch, then in the end wind up sagging.
I feel like that is something we do a lot in life. Not tug up socks per say, but try to do things that we are not designed to do. I’m not saying that we shouldn’t try our best, the Bible says that what ever we do, we should do it as if we are doing it for the Lord. However, sometimes we continue trying something that just isn’t meant to be. We all have our own gifts and talents. Just like I am gifted as a teacher, a singer, and possibly a photographer. I may use these talents to the best of my ability and sometimes not be satisfied in who I am. I get jealous of the people around me who converse so easily with teenagers. I am envious of people who are witty and come up with funny things to say to a perfect stranger. What I’ve got to realize is, is that I am not designed to be that person. Though the ever-famous Pride and Prejudice would tell me that it’s something I have to practice to get down to an art. My mind just doesn’t work that way, just as my body is not designed to jump long distances or allow my hair to hold curl. What is the use of trying to change something that is not meant to be? Right now I am sitting in bed and looking up at my wall where there is an orange piece of construction paper hanging. It reads “Satisfy us in the morning with your unfailing LOVE, that we may sing for joy and be glad all of our days.” Psalm 90:14. The purpose of me adorning my wall so is in the hopes that every morning when I wake up, I will be reminded of who allows me to rise. But that verse speaks to me more than that. It tells me to allow God to satisfy me in all that he has made me to be. I will sing for joy, for Christ has orchestrated it so!

No comments: