Monday, April 18, 2011

"A,B,C, easy as 1,2,3..."

As I become more and more experienced in teaching English as a Second Language students, I think I get more frustrated with the English Language. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE teaching kids how to read, but there are times when you feel like a fool.
There are many sets of rules. And there are exceptions to all of them!
I tell you, I would not be able to learn English if it were not my first language.
For example:
-A rule states that if there is an "e" placed at the end of a CVC pattern word (like mat), then the "e" tells the first vowel to say his name (making the word mate). However, try doing that to the word "have". It doesn't work! But...if you add the word "be" in front of "have" and you get "behave", where the rule does work! There are many other exceptions to this rule sadly, but it works so well many of the times.
-the word pronounced "so" has 2 different spellings, so & sow. Why not soe also...just to throw it in there? and then there's the mix up of that simple word, "so" and why the end does not sound the same as the word "do"...noo....that would be "doe"!
-as I am trying to teach the difference between the "ch" and "sh" sound...the kids come across the word "chef"...need i explain?
-why is it that when the letter y is at the end of a word it has to make different noises? eg. why & really
-...and then there's words like "weigh". now really...why not just simplify and make it way???

I am so appreciative of the simplicity of Swahili and how easy it is to read, even if I don't understand everything! There are no weird spellings, everything is exactly how it looks! So if you are reading this and understand everything that I am writing, count yourself blessed!

Math on the other hand, is quite easy for my newest student. After entering my class one week ago, knowing only how to say "hello" in English, he is fully capable of competing with the other children in addition problem games and can figure out patterns and number sentences quite simply. At least Math is a universal language!

No comments: