Monday, October 4, 2010

I can't see living without you-Sanctus real

I sit here trying to rack my brain as to what I should blog about from the past 2 1/2 months. Do I talk about the tiny cockroaches crawling on my leg on a bus up to Northern Uganda? How about climbing a volcano with my brother? Or what about that time I took a night bus all the way to Kenya for one day to attend a wedding? Then there's the soccer match in which Uganda beat Angola 3-0! The most recent weekend adventure with a bunch of my KIU friends to an orphanage to wash clothes and dishes with Mama Mary as she cares for 38 orphans by herself? I'm starting to sound like I don't do any work...there's also the delightfully diverse snacks that my kids bring to class from sushi to sausages. Obviously I could go on, my life here is one adventure after adventure. That's not to say that these adventures don't come without challenges...they sure do! This school year has brought new challenges that I could not have even imagined possible. But with those hard times comes blessing as well. My walk to and from school is hilly, but perfectly beautiful, you see so much more when walking! The mosquitoes in this house are horrid creatures, but I am so thankful for the abundant trees in this yard! My class size has increased to 22, but thankfully I don't have any students who speak no English what-so-ever. I miss having Miss Agnes around to talk to and the wonderful teacher that she was (she's coming back in December after a maternity leave) but I'm learning so much about a completely different culture from my current teaching assistant from Armenia!
Through it all there's been a renewed sense of dependence on God. There's no way that I could have made it all of this way without him, and every morning comes the re-focusing of my mind on HIM. And every night as I bring a bag full of work home to do, I am reminded of how much there is to be done, not only for my classroom, but in the entire world around me!
Hopefully I'll be inspired very soon to write a much more detailed blog post on my life here, but in the meantime, if you care for more detail on any of the above stories, don't hesitate to ask ;)

No comments: