Monday, July 26, 2010

"Lead me with strong hands...don't leave me hungry for love chasing dreams...Father show me the way to lead them..." ~Sanctus Real

A few weeks ago I was sitting in a church with my bible open to Romans and some verses caught my eye. "How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? And how can they preach unless they are sent? As it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!" Romans 10:14-15

There are still so many people who have not heard! Just this past month I met someone who said, "So Jesus is the son of God?" I've been making an effort recently to see people who are not following God as someone with a huge weight on their shoulders. They haven't allowed Jesus to come and share their burdens with them. I'm reminded of a great sermon I heard in Kampala by a visiting pastor. There was this great visual of people literally being tied to each other and having to move around with dead bodies being attached to their backs. I wish I remembered it better, but it was based on history. Jesus came and lifted those huge bodies off of our backs so that we would not have to bear them. How amazing it is to have someone HUGE share that burden with us!
As I prepare to leave tomorrow to go back to Uganda, I think about how it might be easier to see the burdens of the people there because of the poverty, but examining the heart is just as hard to do, and I am so glad that God is the one who does that! Sometimes with Americans it can be hard to see the burdens that are weighing them down. They seem to have so much. But the past 2 months in America have helped to show me in a new light that there is so much need here too! People always think of America as being this safety net, once you get here you're fine. Well...not so. The rich may be able to feed their children, but they can't seem to feed their own souls. And there are plenty of poor people here too. The poor are always with us, as Jesus said.
I want to encourage you to reach out to those around you, to all types of poor people. Poor in heart, poor is spirit, poor in funds...and help them to become rich in faith and love God. Those are the ones who get to inherit the kingdom of heaven as James 2 tells us. You don't have to be traveling thousands of miles to be reaching people. Start where you are. God is sending YOU to share, because after all, "how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard?"

1 comment:

School of Leadership and Development (SLD) said...

Hi Jean, Bettie Anne just let us know you were in the area. We at SLD (School of Leadership and Development at Eastern UnIversity) look forward to connecting with you. Blessings - Danny Bismark and the SLD Team.