Monday, July 28, 2008

I have arrived!

Hello all, just a quick note to say that I am in Uganda! Currently, I am staying in an apartment behind one of the missionaries homes while we get the electricity fixed and a refrigerator in my apartment. Hopefully I will be moving in on Tuesday night or Wednesday. I drove down to my apartment after lunch yesterday to set up some of my things before the evening fellowship! It was not as hard as I imagined to remember to stay on the left side of the road, but it was just the first time. I am SO thankful that the car I borrowed to go down was an automatic. The car that I will have access to is currently in Kenya, but will be back next week.
My time here so far has been really great. I am slowly adjusting to the time difference, though the call to morning prayer for Muslims at 5:30 am has not helped. My stomach is still dancing, but nothing major has happened, praise the Lord! The other missionaries have been so wonderful in helping me to slowly get acclimated. They have been hosting me for meals and doing orientations with me slowly. Last night for dinner I had popcorn and ice cream. If you know me well, you would know that these are two of my favorite foods and just happens to be the normal Sunday dinner for the family that hosted me last night :) The WGM office has a high speed internet connection, so skype can be used there, but the internet is so slow in the other places, it is not even imaginable. To give an example of how slow it is, my internet connection will be 7k. Putting it in perspective, a dial up is 56k, and high speed at home is 3500k. Wow, right? Patience will be learned!
Back to financial orientation!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jean- glad you are getting acclimated. Kelly and I are praying for you. Hopefully our paths will cross over there in a "near" future.

- Josh

Anonymous said...

Hey Jean! Sounds like you have an incredible, spiritual adventure ahead of you. I'm looking forward to reading more about it :o)

Anonymous said...

Jean! I'm in the process of downloading Skype right now...sooo whenever you're on Skype, let me know. I'm heading out to Asbury in two weeks so here's to hoping that it works down there...miss you.